To receive sickness benefits, you must have your doctor complete Form SI-1b, Statement of Sickness in support of your claim. In addition, you may be asked to have your doctor provide the RRB with additional (supplemental) medical information in order to continue to receive your sickness benefit payments. How often supplemental medical information is required depends on several factors, including when you are expected to return to work. In determining when you may return to work, we consider your diagnosis, medical condition, age, normal occupation and the estimated disability period previously provided to the RRB by your doctor.
Form SI-1b, Statement of sickness may be completed by:
- a licensed medical doctor trained in medical and surgical diagnosis;
- a licensed dentist in cases of infirmity relating to the teeth and gums;
- a licensed podiatrist if the infirmity relates to the feet;
- a licensed chiropractor;
- a licensed doctor of clinical psychology;
- a certified nurse/midwife in cases of pregnancy, miscarriage, or childbirth;
- a superintendent or other supervisory official of a hospital, clinic, or similar organization;
- a Christian Science practitioner;
- a Physician Assistant - Certified; or
- a nurse practitioner.