- Reconsideration - If you do not agree with any decision denying you benefits or with an overpayment decision, you may request reconsideration. Your request must be in writing and should explain why you disagree. If you request reconsideration, your request must be received at an office of the (RRB) within 60 days of the date of the letter notifying you of the adverse decision. Be sure to sign your name and include your social security number on your request.
- Waiver - You may request waiver of recovery of your overpayment only if ALL of the following conditions are met:
- The amount of the overpayment is more than 10 times the current maximum daily benefit rate;
- You were not at fault in causing the overpayment; and
- recovery would cause you financial hardship to the extent that you would not be able to meet your ordinary and necessary living expenses or recovery would be unfair for some other reason.
If your request for waiver is received at an office of the RRB within 60 days from the date of the letter notifying you of your debt, we will not recover the overpayment until a decision is made on your request.