This part provides general information about early Medicare coverage. For a more complete explanation of the Medicare program, please refer to booklet RB-20, "Medicare for Railroad Workers and Their Families".
Medicare is the Federal health insurance program for people age 65 or older and certain disabled people. One part of Medicare (Part A) provides hospital insurance benefits. Another part (Part B) provides supplementary medical insurance.
Hospital insurance helps pay for:
- Inpatient hospital care
- Inpatient care in a skilled nursing facility
- Home health care and hospice care
Supplementary medical insurance helps pay for:
- Doctor's services
- Outpatient hospital services
- Durable medical equipment
- A number of other medical services and supplies that are not covered by hospital insurance